Sarawak Museum was established by Charles Brooke the Second Rajah in 1860 and thanks to the great naturalist, Alfred Russell Wallace for his influence. They realized their intentions by setting up a temporary museum at the Market place, along Gambier Street Kuching in 30th October 1886. Later a proper museum was built at its present site and opened its door to the public on 4th August 1891.
The museum grew slowly maintaining the indigenous pride, identity and tradition of our people, Sarawakians. It survived the Second World War. Even standing on a sounder footing when Sarawak gained its independence through the formation of Malaysia in 1963. As the result, Sarawak Museum enjoys the international recognition not only as a superb museum but also as a research centre in Borneo where Sarawak Museum Journals are published annually for the world circulation since 1910.
It is a keeper of the rich culture and history of Sarawak and the first class repository of Borneo culture with the world's largest collection of Borneo's flora and fauna. In appreciation of its existence, Sarawak Museum was established as a full-fledged department under the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Sarawak.
sarawak, borneo, musuem, cultural